Pages

Thursday 19 April 2007

Richard Jones pulls his hammie

All over Australia the kids are playing football. The junior season is about to kick-off. My daughters team the Under 8 Pixies have seen their numbers double. The last two years we've had four teams in the Under 8's, this year we have eight.

Post-World Cup fever or just an increase in one age group in one club?

I'll keep you posted when numbers are finalised across the clubs in Canberra.

And its not just the kids. The older guys are still trying to get a game. In Masters competitions or work kick-arounds the wannabies are still pulling on their boots.

Take Richard Jones, a Commonwealth Government employee. Rocks up at my door on Wednesday last week. A work day and he's dressed in his Arsenal shirt.

"Got any shinpads, I've got a game at lunch."

He dashes off on his bike, the excited 44 year old desperate to get some game time.

I see him later.

"How did you go?"

"I don’t know whether to be grateful that I actually still have them, but I pulled a hamstring during our match yesterday."

We oldies can relate.

He quickly adds "It was 2-0, both goals set up by the dynamic right full-back, plus I had a shot that hit the post and rolled along the goal line before being cleared."

As he walks off he seems taller, younger but for the hammy induced limp.

Looking back he shouts, "Put that in your blog!"

No comments: