Pages

Sunday 13 May 2007

Junior Coaching update.

In view of the criticism of coaches floating around the junior game I caught up with Jason, a Brumbies fan, and coach of a boys under 7 team at Majura Junior Soccer Club, Canberra.

Two weeks into the season how are you going?

Jason, "Good, I know all my players names and getting to know the personalities. We are starting to have fun."

E: Has it been hard?

Jason, "Well last week I was told to take more players. Ten players for five-a-side. That is too many. But things got sorted and I now have seven-a-side with nine squad members."

E: Any tips for other coaches?

Jason, "Well, I found the parents are really appreciative of what I'm doing so that feels good. Also I've asked a couple of parents to help with training. The kids love to see their Mum kids on a Friday night is a test for anyone. So I'd say ask for help, people won't offer usually but if you ask they may surprise you."

I'll catch up with Jason later on in the season to see how things are progressing.

No comments: