Pages

Friday 18 May 2007

Lawrie McKinna wanted a Hillman Avenger

Central Coast Manager Lawrie McKinna had a dream when he was a wee boy back in Scotland.

"I wanted to play for Glasgow Rangers. I wanted to earn $100 a week, give my mum $95 and buy a Hillman Avenger with the rest. I now know it was impossible, but that was my dream."

He never fulfilled his dream! He did play at Ibrox but only for Kilmarnock.

As a sixteen year old he would follow Rangers all over Europe. A true "Blue-nose" his words not mine, McKinna is still happiest when his beloved Gers are giving Old Firm rivals Celtic a good pasting.

As a bloke who followed Celtic all over Europe, my interview with Lawrie was an interesting little meeting! And it all ended peacefully as you'd expect.

McKinna telling me how Rangers manager Walter Smith and Assistant Ally McCoist are going to bringback the glory days to Ibrox. Me, walking away, asking "Who are the current Scottish Champions?"

No comments: