Pages

Tuesday 19 June 2007

Carl Valeri talks to Football in the Capital

Carl, you look a tad cold on your holidays!

It's 30 degrees at night in Singapore, and you'll be there and running on Thursday


Football in the Capital caught up with Socceroo Carl Valeri in cold cold Canberra as Carl enjoyed his two-week annual break.

So your Socceroo mate Brett Holman is in Cairns, what do you do when you are away from football Carl?

"I like to get home for a bit. My Mum gets me to see my family dentist, so I have to do that! But really I just love catching up with my old friends here in Canberra. "

"I feel so relaxed back here in Canberra, it's home."

What about football?

"Oh football, well I try and get completely away, Just think about other things I know when we go back into camp next week, they will hurt us. It'll will be like pre-season, and I'm not looking forward to that."

"The playing, the games is easy, no problem, its just the pre-season training is tough."

When doe the season start in Italy?

"In mid-August so there will be no break after the Asian Cup. In Italy they take us up to the mountains for a month of pre-season usually. We train, run for two hours in the morning every day, and do ball work every afternoon. It's tough, very hard on the body."

So have you being doing any exercise in your break?

"We'll to be honest, I wasn't, but I have now because the FFA called me and told me to get my butt moving. So press-ups and half an hour skipping to get the legs going and some running. I have to work the isometrics. Basically they want us moving because when we get into camp its' going to be tough from the first day."

"Did you hear your Socceroo room-mate Nicky Carle is off to Turkey."

"Yeah, that's great for him. He's a great guy. I hope it goes well for him."

Thanks Carl. I'll have photos and a short interview with Carl on Thursday from Canberra Airport as he flies out to join the Socceroos in Singapore...for that pre-season workout!
Enjoy it Carl.

No comments: