Pages

Thursday 28 June 2007

Sally Shipard chose Football over Cricket

Football or Cricket: Which would you choose?


Sally Shipard writes each Thursday for Football in the Capital

Hi guys


When you grow up in a country town travelling to trials, training and competing in your sport is time consuming.

For me I had to choose between Football and Cricket.

I had to make the decision when I was about 15. At the time I was representing both sports at elite level.

What would you choose?

Elyse Perry is a Young Matilda in exactly the same position. She is in the Australian National Cricket team and the Young Matilda’s squad.

Firstly, I have to say, that is a fantastic effort, what an achievement.

I leaned towards football. I preferred it. It was as simple as that. For me playing cricket wasn’t the most entertaining game.

Football, on the other hand, I Ioved. I loved how unpredictable and exciting it was.
Looking back on my decision I’m glad I chose football.

I’ve travelled with Australian teams to so many countries on so many continents. After all, football is the ‘World Game.’

The opportunities for international travel, both representing Australia and playing at club level overseas are so extensive.

Female football in Australia is growing, and the attributes we bring to the game are slowly being recognized by the Australian public. It’s only going to get better from here.

My advice for Elyse would be to choose whichever she prefers, and o think about what she wants for her future.

Fingers crossed its football.

I look forward to playing alongside her in the senior team one day.

Bye
Sal

Eamonn adds: Matildas are in camp in Coff’s Harbour this weekend. Sally will give us an update on the Matilda’s next week.

No comments: