Pages

Tuesday 31 July 2007

Opinion: So the Aussie footballers want to help?

I'm talking about money, right.



I'd loved to see the game grow in Australia. A strong domestic league would be fantastic. Anything I can do to help. Can't wait to come back and play in Australia. All my family are there and I'd love to come home.



Now I'm sure you've heard some of these comments from Australian players overseas during the course of the last three years. I know I have.



But it's time to get real.



No Australian player will come back to assist the game.



As Kevin Keegan once said, "Football is just about money, a business."



Maybe not to me or you. Only we fans appreciate the game for what it is. A game.



For those that work in it, it's a job, a lifestyle, a business or a career.



Look at the facts.



John Aloisi 31, may be going to Swansea City. Swansea City! Who has heard of them. English Division what? Oh maybe he'll go for the scenery. The docks are beautiful compared to Sydney Harbour.


Sydney FC's manager Branko Culina said, "John wanted more than Robbie Fowler and a three yea contract."

So when will Aloisi come back? When he's 33 and lost his pace. No thanks John.



Craig Moore. He's back playing with Queensland Roar. For the good of Australian football? Give me a break.



He hardly played for Newcastle United in the last two years. His contract was up and at 31 his injuries would scare anyone bar an Australian club.



Oh and he's just finished his house in Queensland in late July. Guess no-one wanted him in Europe; either that or he was just going to miss pre-season.



It's great to have Craig Moore back, but don't tell me he's doing it for Australian football.



And Sydney FC's Tony Popovic is back. Fantastic. But why not twelve months ago. Because as everyone knows Qatar offers more dosh.



So has anyone come back for the good of the Australia game.



Nick Rizzo at Perth Glory. Don't think so. On loan to Chesterfield or back at Perth with a possible Socceroos call-up. Nick's back for Nick.



Archie Thompson. Couldn't wait to get to PSV pre-World Cup. Three minutes in six months for PSV meant Archie's back. And I love Archie too.



And maybe just maybe only Kevin Muscat is back for Australian football. He was young enough to stay in Europe. Fit enough to stay. Sure his price is right here but he could probably have matched it overseas.



Now it's not sour grapes. Let players go where they wish I say. Careers are short and earning capacity for many is limited to ten years.



Just don't tell me they are coming back for the good of the Australian game.

Prove me wrong or add to the fire.






3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ljubo Milicevic at Melbourne might disagree about no-one coming back for the good of the game --He's only 27, played champions league in 2005/06 and was reportedly wanted by Middlesborough.

Eamonn said...

Fair point John

Anonymous said...

"reportedly"...is that the spin his agent has managed to put on it or is it the truth???

he was getting injured often playing at a no better than ordinary club in the very average Swiss League (save for FC Zurich and FC Basel) - I very much doubt whether any EPL side would have signed him at the end of the Swiss season (visa or not).

don't get me wrong, I think he is a good footballer who will get back into the national team (for some of the WC qualifiers) - but let's not overrate his return.