Pages

Monday 30 July 2007

Talking to the walking wounded!

Sydney FC Steve Corica and Iain Fyfe.



Football in the Capital caught up with some of the injured stars from yesterday's games.




Friendly, and obliging all had something to say.




Iain Fyfe, Sydney FC, currently out with shin splints but expects to be back this week. Although he did say you could never be sure with this type of injury.


Iain, how did you enjoy living in Hamilton when you played in Scotland. I'm a Celtic fan so travelled past that dire town many times?

"I lived there with Dave (Carney) and we just said, we've got to get out of here. The Australian league was in limbo, I'd gone overseas to see relatives and a cousin asked me to try out. I ended up at Hamilton in Scottish Division 1. It wasn't pretty.
Get to play at Celtic Park? Well I had to ask!

"No, I did get to play at some Premier League grounds, but not Celtic. The football wasn't of a very high standard in Div 1. Dave and I were glad to get away."


Dean Heffernan, Central Coast Mariners.


Dean what were the key differences between your time in Germany and that as a footballer in Australia?


"Off the field, football in Germany is 24/7. There really was no way of getting away from the game. I found that hard.


"On the field, the training was different. In Germany we trained three times a day with a ball. Morning, afternoon and finished with a game. We never went in the gym pre-season. With the Mariners we have two sessions, one of which is in the gym, which helps with conditioning."


"For me having a ball at my feet so often, helps improve your technique, and hopefully that has improved my game."

"It's great to be back and I'm hoping to get a few goals again this season."


Did you miss out on the left-back position for the Socceroos by going overseas? David Carney obviously gained by you not being around.

"No regrets obviously. It was great for experience, playing on a different level with World Class players in training."

"Next Socceroos left-back." interjects Mariners Deputy Chairman Peter Turnbull.

"That's the plan, " says Heffernan. "With more Asian Cup and World Cup qualifiers hopefully there will be more opportunities."

Wouldn't rule it out, would you? With numerous goals from left back in his first season with the Mariners and a terrific engine, crucial in International football, our Socceroos left side of defence may not be such a problem in the coming years after all.
Interestingly the Mariners did look way more physical than Sydney FC yesterday. Maybe player/physio Andrew Clark's techniques is producing significant results.



Jacob Timpano, Sydney FC.




Jacob missed all, of last season, bar two games. After playing the first season how frustrating was it.


"Very frustrating, especially when we were struggling a little at times. I was a young guy in the first season and just learning. I enjoyed playing with Dwight Yorke and under Pierre Littbarski. It was all new for me and I was just getting going. I'm injured again but I should be back for the first game.


Have you been surprised at the success of the A-League?

"No, not really. People outside of football might be, but it's always had potential in the country, and probably just needed a boost."

Will it be difficult to get back in the team? Sydney has a few new defenders including Tony Popovic, is this a problem?


"I can learn a lot from Poppa so I am looking forward to working with him. He's a real leader. I'm looking forward to winning a place in the team and trying to improve this season."




Steve Corica, Sydney FC.

Why aren't you playing Steve?

"Bit of a bad back."


Old age?


"Yeah probably."

Which lead me nicely to ask what Steve was going to do after football.


"Well, Sydney FC have started an Academy. I'm involved in Coaching there."


So you'll stay in football after you finish playing?


"Yes I'd like to for sure."
Best game you played in overseas?

"Probably for Wolves against Barcelona or Liverpool."

Best goal you ever scored?

"That would have to be for Sydney in the Grand Final."

Any plans to retire.

"No, not yet."

All players were particularly welcoming and supportive. It was a very positive experience for me. Thanks guys.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

great post eamonn, this is a real gem of a blog! Heff for LWB, damn straight!

Eamonn said...

Wayne really appreciate the comment thanks!

but seriously I reckon Heff can make it. Gets forward, got the fitness, scores goals and as long as his defending is better than Carney's and it should be given his experience then why not.

Interesting to see how he goes his this season