Pages

Friday 24 August 2007

Matildas Star Lydia Williams playing with a broken wrist!



Spare an ouch for Matildas goalkeeper Lydia Williams.

Canberra's Lydia Williams, the nineteen year old Indigenous back-up Matildas keeper to Melissa Barbieri, has a broken wrist, but she is still going to the World Cup in China!

"I broke my wrist three months ago, and the cast came off two months ago. I'll go to the World Cup with a splint on."

Doesn't it hurt?

"A bit but I want to play in a World Cup."

"And after the World Cup I'll stay in China for the Under 20 Asia Cup. Hopefully we can do well there and go to the Under 20 World Cup in Chile next year."

Williams played many sports when she was younger.

"I grew up in Kalgoorlie, WA. Out there AFL is popular, so I played that and any sport where you had to run.

"When I moved to Canberra Mum got me into a soccer team and I went from there really."

"I want to play in more World Cups, Asia Cups and Olympics over the next ten years."

"We are well prepared. We've been to China many times. We know the culture and move around freely.

"Hopefully the Chinese people know us a bit more now as well."


The Matildas are in a group with Norway, Canada and Ghana. All games will be shown on SBS live in prime time starting 12 September.

No comments: