Pages

Thursday 17 January 2008

Close Finish?

I was thinking about close finishes as the A-League comes to a close this weekend.

Most Anglophiles will think of Arsenal beating Liverpool 2-0 at Anfield. With Michael Thomas scoring in the last few minutes to secure the title. That was close.

For me close finishes are that bit better when they involve your team, and they win.

In 1979, my team was Celtic, it still is....

Last game of the season, all other games were finished, but Celtic had to play one more game to win the league.

They had to win.

A draw wouldn't do, and we we were at home, to our old mates Rangers.

Who if they secured a draw took the title. It would be a great night.

And I had a ticket, but being 15 at the time I had some exams and I didn't get to go. Dad said.

Bastard!...oops I'm 45 now and still haven't really forgiven the old fella, not really....and I failed my exam, woodwork I think.

Celtic were a goal down at half-time. And then just before the break Celtic's Johnny Doyle a flying winger was sent-off.

That was that then, Rangers were sure to be champions now, and at Parkhead of all places.

But the game swung as Murdo McCleod inspired a Celtic comeback.

4-2 to Celtic.

The title was ours. And Celtic fans still talk about the game, alongside the 7-1 Hampden demolition of Rangers in May 1957, Scottish Cup Final. I wasn't born.

So close finishes are great. And your club's are always the best.

No matter what the Arsenal fans tell you. Good luck to all teams this weekend!

No comments: