Pages

Wednesday 23 January 2008

"A-League team in Canberra is an absolute must"

“An A-League team in Canberra is an absolute must," says Belconnen United Coach Steve Forshaw.

Behind the microphone at 2XX Nearpost radio show this week Forshaw was in great form. Socceroos, A-League and Belconnen United, Forshaw covered it all.



“An A-League team in Canberra is an absolute must, “says Belconnen United Coach Steve Forshaw.

Behind the microphone at 2XX Nearpost radio show Forshaw was in great form. Socceroos, A-League and Belconnen United, Forshaw covered it all.

He’s back at the helm with Belconnen United. Rumours abounded about his retirement after last years Grand final 5-4 defeat to Canberra FC, but it isn’t true.

“I couldn’t leave on that note. I’ve unfinished business, “said Forshaw.

“I started Coaching in 1989 with Belconnen United. In 1991 we won the lot, three trophies. I’ve had breaks since then but I love being involved. And this season we’ve lost a few players, but we’ve strengthened with the likes of Dustin Wells back in town. He will play with Belconnen this year.

"Ben Cheyne is back from his spell in Scotland. He played in the Scottish Cup and Danny Macor, who is playing this week in the KL 5’s in Malaysia with the Futsalroos, will again lead the line.

“We went close last year, and anyone who saw the Grand Final will have seen a great game of football. But I think we can go one better, I really do.”
Forshaw was born in Bolton, England.

“I came to Australia as young boy. I was a Bolton fan and a Leeds United fan. I’ve been involved in football all my life. I played in Brisbane and was transferred to Belconnen for $50 when I came to Canberra. The club still want their money back!

“I’ve been to many many games. I watched Bolton Wanderers play at the old Burnden Park ground in an FA Cup tie, against Manchester City, when they were in the Third division. I saw a Zinedane Zidane led France play Turkey in Turkey, but the best game I ever saw is an easy one.
I went with my father and my son, the three generations. We saw Australia beat Uruguay and qualify for the World Cup. It was a very special night.”

And Forshaw smiles as he claims that Belconnen United assisted the Central Coast Mariners to win this years A-League Minor Premiership.

“We set the A-League Champions the Mariners on the road to success. They came down to Belconnen as they will do every pre-season and gave us a touch up, 4-0. I’m sure it set them on the road. We’ll play them in June again this year, depending on how the fixtures fall.

“I think there is no comparison between the A-League and the old NSL (National Soccer League) on a number of levels. The crowds are obviously much better, the stadiums they are playing in are better. The fact that it is now representative on a broader level is better. The A-League doesn’t represent a particular ethnic group, an ethnic community; it’s a broader based community sport now. The quality of the football is far higher than the old NSL could ever aspire to.

Joel Griffiths (Newcastle Jets) has had a great season, and Tommy Pondeljak (Central Coast Mariners) is an exciting player. But if you look at all the clubs you’ll find exciting players at every club.

“But if I have one criticism of the league it probably lacks a little bit of quality overall. There are some good things happening on the park, and off the park. There are good youngsters particularly in Queensland with Michael Zullo and Robbie Kruse. The pleasing thing though is that the league is still going in the right direction.
Forshaw would love to see an A-League team in Canberra.

“It’s an absolute must for us. In terms of priorities it’s the sort of thing Capital Football need to look at, and look at very strongly, to lift the profile of the game. A national league, an A-League without a team from Canberra, it isn’t the full picture.”

No comments: