Pages

Tuesday 20 September 2011

A:League: The ten (actually more) I want to see play

Now the A-league has just two players this year, Harry and Emmo, so it should be more interesting everyone tells me.

Well with Matthew Leckie, Marcus Flores and others having left who are the fellas who the Nearpost is particularly looking forward to seeing take to the field in Season 7:

Melbourne Victory - Of course Harry Kewell, but I'm as interested to see how the young Kiwi Marco Rojas goes. Looked very special against Australia in June - can't wait to see him progress in a strong team.

Sydney FC - Terry Antonis and Demi Petratos look a bit tasty. Again Brett Emerton adds interest, Nicky Carle is always worth the money but the two young guns should have a great season. Let's hope there are 25,000 fans each week, before we send them off to Europe in a year or two.

Melbourne Heart - A lot to like in the new team. Always playing good football. Brendan Hamill should take a step in defence and Aziz Behich is, once again, showing a young winger struggling to turn it on, can soon become a lightning quick attacking defender. Think Ashley Cole or Michael Zullo. Two young guns worth watching. And the return of Fred. Think the Heart might have one or two young Aussies step forward this season.

Perth Glory - I'm a Celtic fan from wayback so particularly interested to see Liam Miller in the playmaker role in the West. And not sure if this guy will get any game time but having watched him in the U17 World Cup I'm interested to see how Jesse Makarounas. He might be getting on but I enjoy following Travis Dodd up and down the line.

Wellington Phoenix - Will they have a team - I think not. And I can't think of one player I want to watch. Okay I'm interested in Mirjan Pavlovic and possibly Jimmy Downey but I'm not interested in Tony Lochhead.

Adelaide United - the flair under Flores may have left but I'm expecting Dario Vidosic to take the league by storm - also Iain Ramsey is always worth watching. Let's hope he takes the next step over the Dutch import Slorey. Adelaide are always great value at home on a Friday night. Can't wait!

Newcastle Jets - Well if Ben Kantarovski is going to be the player we all predict then this year he has to have a bloody big one. I'm not so sure he's going to progress to the level we thought. And really not a lot of excitement in this team with Jason Culina injured and if your idea of excitement is Labinot Haliti well good luck to yer - I'm pinning my hopes on Marco Jesic and James Virgili to get me interested.

Central Coast Mariners - surprised SBS last year but Bernie Ibini-Isei and Musti Amini should have impressive seasons. Oliver Bozanic continues to improve. At least there are a few footballers in the club these days - you know what I mean!

Brisbane Roar - Always great to watch - so the team is probably greater than any individual. A defender, Ivan Franjic I am enjoying watching. And am fascinated to see if Kofi Danning can take a leap back to professional football - and maybe spark the flame again under Ange. Big season for Kofi. Mitch Nicholl, Thomas Broich - what's not to like?

Gold Coast United - Yes they are still with us! James Brown and Adama Traore are my players to watch. Aussie Brown should have a strong year and if I'm a good judge should cement his place in the team. Miron will probably have other thoughts.

No comments: