Pages

Wednesday 7 September 2011

Why I loved the Thailand game

All the so-called experts and many fans on football forums denigrated Australia for their recent World Cup Qualifier against Thailand.

Why?

Because we allowed Thailand to score first, we didn't pass with fluency, we launched the ball high into the box too many times, or maybe because we didn't win 6-0. Maybe all four.

But as a football fan I loved that game. Loved it!

Here we are watching the Socceroos in a World Cup Qualifier three years before the real deal. I still remember the Socceroos playing two games every four years!

And suddenly I'm tense.

The Thai's have scored - the script is ruined after just 14 minutes.

For me I loved seeing my prediction on Neil Kilkenny come true - again - got that one over Fozzie, a Kilkenny supporter. I hated hearing Robbie Slater back on air for the season - depressing but the emotions stirred again. That's good.

And Brett Holman - I supported him long before the bandwagon had stopped whining about this guy - I also called Bruce Djite the new Viduka so I'm know Holger yet!

And watching A-League star Matt McKay storm into the box - I felt good.

Tense we needed goals - and not to concede again.

Cheered? I went thru the roof when Big Josh slammed it home and when the left side of the Killer B's ( I hate that Cockerill label) scored the winner I could have kissed Cockerill never mind Alex Brosque.

You see that's football, passion and fandom.

When two goals against Thailand are treated like World Cup Final winners you know you're hooked on football.

And now we've beaten Saudi Arabia - doesn't the Thai result look even better. Enjoy your day!

No comments: